Artist Submission Guidelines
Hoplite is a highly in demand boutique agency that is the exclusive representation for a select roster of high caliber original talent from all over North America. Hoplite maintains a small roster, that we may achieve the highest level of service and attention in our efforts to represent our clients. We only represent artists that understand and agree with the philosophy of the agency and that we feel will also represent us appropriately in the way they conduct themselves and handle their business. In addition to high musical standards, our artists are chosen based on where they do business already, how they fit with the roster, complimenting our artists rather than conflicting or creating redundancy, and what their business and profile contributes to the roster as a whole– from both a regional and musical standpoint. Whereas we do feel that a big part of our job is to create demand for our clients, we need something to work with to get started in this task. Thus, we have fairly high criteria for approving submissions and at this time we are not seeking artists who are looking to get their start in the touring business. Submissions need to reflect an artist’s ability to do “hard ticket” business in their home region, and depending on the home region, the amount of hard ticket business and demand is a big factor. We build solid, sustainable careers on the basis of our experience, your desire, and our collective hard work and ethical business practices. Hoplite is both a premiere development house and a viable alternative for more established artists simply seeking more hands-on attention than they currently receive. We are a company based on the notion of “family” and we want people to feel like they have found a home when they come to us, so please take the time to explore the roster and do your research on Hoplite. When you have done so, if you think this is a good place for you, please send the following materials to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- -Link to your website.
- -Link to your Facebook page.
- -Link to a Soundcloud page for your current release.
- -Link to a recent video of a live performance (if you have a fancy studio video, send that too!).
- -A simple list of your top 10 current touring markets, with a rough estimate of your hard ticket draw (this means how many tickets YOU sold for the show).
- -A detailed tour history for the last 12 months. This history should have the date, city and venue, ticket price, what you were paid, number in attendance, number paid for you (your own hard ticket draw) and total merch sales. If you were the opener or a support artist, please indicate who the headlining band was. If a show was a soft ticket event, please indicate this, as only hard ticket draws indicate what you are worth in the market. Please note that a soft ticket is a free show, festival, private party or college show where the burden of the draw is not yours. A hard ticket is one that requires you to sell tickets (not literally) to get folks to the show.
- -Information on who is behind the scenes. Do you have a manager, a sound engineer, tour manager, merch person? Who handles your promotions? What type of vehicle do you travel to shows in?
- -How many shows a month are you available to perform and properly promote?
- -Anything else that will paint the picture of who you are and why you believe that being represented by Hoplite is the right move for your career, and that representation of you is the right move for Hoplite.
- -$4,000,000.00 submission fee (OK, just kidding… are you reading?)
Heads up: this is a business that deals with many details, and the way you handle the submissions process is in itself an indication of the way you conduct your business. Please understand that we receive lots of submissions and its takes time to review them properly. Please don’t call or email us more than once to make sure we have received your email. We will get back in touch with you either way.
Many thanks for considering Hoplite for your touring needs…